Saturday 9 July 2011

Tip of the day: How to stop your cape from looking frumpy or top heavy

I figure this reason is a big one why people just aren't wearing them. And I understand, the first time I put on a long one,  I thought it was just a styled sack. But here are my tips to make it more wearable and chic

1. Get a shorter length.
Getting a cape that reaches just past your elbows will still show off your middle and won't flood your body.
This is a good example from Yves Saint Laurent, you can buy it Here. Alannah Hill did a nice one last year with a cute hood and buttons and I know I've seen more around this season.


2. Belt it!
When I tried on my Cape from ASOS last weekend I kind of slumped at how top heavy it made me look, until I threw a belt on it! I also undid the top two buttons (this created a V shape that reduced my over sized bust too) and chucked on an elasticised belt. They are a godsend when you sit down all day.
Diane Von Fusternberg has a great example here, it shows perfectly how it can be done, and remember a different belt can give it different looks too.


3. Get a swooshy 70's one for summer.
I know this may give you throwbacks to your mother in her heyday, but perhaps she still has one lying about in her wardrobe? Get on board it's going to be a hot look this summer. This one is available from ASOS and is currently on sale too.

Share this post?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
×
bloggerWidget