Saturday 31 March 2012

Maybelline Mascaras: The Falsies v. One by One

I have to say that I really can't go past Maybelline for mascaras. The formulas are impeccable, the effects are numerous and they last and last. I love discovering the new ones too!
In the last year or so the ones of note here in Australia would have to be The Falsies, and One by One, both are variations of their Volum' Express range, which is easily their most dramatic range.
I have been using The Falsies as my staple for months now, using it to build on top of a lengthening formula to give really knock out lashes, I have even had strangers come up to me on the street and ask what I use! The brush is terrific to wield, with the spoon shape helping to grip and coat each lash like no other brush I've used. I had fat, long and smooth lashes, and I love them.
So understandably when I picked up a tube of One by One my expectations were going to be incredibly high. One by One had a mission on its hands!
Firstly, the brush, it's not anything exciting but it is one of the newer technologically advanced rubber ones, with loads of tiny little rubber bristles coming off it, while The Falsies employs the traditional pipecleaner style bristles.


When putting on this mascara is where things start to get interesting, as I found it hard to apply without making a mess! The shape of the brush is a bit of a hinderance in this regard as it seems to pick up too much product at the end. I found I couldn't get a good application unless I cleaned a good amount of the product off with a tissue before applying. But my god when I did!
Beautiful! My lashes looked amazing, long, dramatic and stop-you-in-the-street good. But in the same breathe the volume just wasn't there like it is with The Falsies. This can be good or bad depending on the look you're going for. The gorgeous, doe-eyed "I wake up looking like this" effect was certainly perfect but for anyone looking for traffic stopping oomph and thick fat lashes I'd pick The Falsies.
Another point I'd like to make is that I would usually never use The Falsies without a base lengthening formula beforehand, while One by One works perfectly by itself, I wouldn't recommend a second coat of One by One as this was another time it started to get messy and the end effect didn't come off as lovely. This also makes One by One the choice to go for if you're racing the clock.

I hope I've helped you make up your mind between these two great mascaras, Let me know what you thought of them in the comments!

Share this post?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
×
bloggerWidget