Sunday 1 April 2012

Even easier half moon nails

Ah, the benefits of working in an office don't normally enter my thought process while I type up a post but in this rare case it does.
I posted months ago about a way to get that half moon nail look, Dita Von Teese is usually spotted with this style of polish on her nails, and now I've found an even easier tool you can use to do it at home.
The thing was, those little paper strips you use for French tips were always too straight, and didn't give a nice curved line you need to cover up the base of your nail while you apply your main colour to the rest of the nail, but you know what does work nicely? Binder hole reinforcers.
You can pick them up at stacks of stationery shops, but best to go for the bigger "We have everything!" ones for a better chance of finding them. Yes you do get some strange look asking for them, and if you decide to tell your friends about them (and me!) they'll probably crack up laughing.
To use them for this manner it's much better to go for the opaque white ones and not the transparent ones, as I found the sticker did a better job of adhering to the nail bed.

Want to have a peek at how I did them?

Here are the tools you will need, the colours of polish you intend to use, the Binder hole reinforcers, and I did use top coat, but it obviously didn't want to be a part of this photoshoot!


So Simple. First of all you need to paint your base coat, if you're using a pale colour like I did , make sure you have enough coats to make it as opaque as required.


Once the base is thoroughly dry (that is important!) you want to stick the Binder hole reinforcers so they're just on the base of your nails by a few mm. Of course the size of your base is up to you but  they need to be all the same size on each nail, This is the most important detail for a professional finish. This is another reason why I recommend using the opaque ones, as it's hard to see where you have stuck the clear ones!


Then you want to apply your polish, two coats of the red did the trick nicely. After the paint is sufficiently dry I then slowly peel off each of the hole reinforcers.


Then apply your top coat to seal the edges! I found it good to apply on the half moon first, then pull it to the rest of the nail with you brush, as the red polish can bleed a bit. 


Yay! All done. For something more creative you can use different colour bases on each nail, or just one or two for a special pop. I found this much more accurate then my other method too, give it a try!

Colours used: Icing Sugar and Fruit Juice by Maybelline Mini Colorama.

Share this post?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
×
bloggerWidget